The number of attendants at your wedding definitely has an affect on the tone of your event. Most brides will stick to a medium number of 6. I, however, have a lot of friends. And over the years in high school and college I kept adding more. So, by the time I got married, I had many options and I felt like obligations. I ended up with 8. I chose my best friends, and a family member and one of my oldest friends. Eight was a lot.
But these days, I am seeing way more than that. Lately I have been seeing 10, 11, maybe 12 attendants on each side. Last weekend there were 12 attendants on each side plus another 10 ushers. It was quite the beautiful group. And they did a great job. They were actually a large bridal party who were very cooperative. But when you have a bridal party of that size, take into account a few things:
- The dress you pick should be at least try to be flattering on all the brides. The Knot has a great article on choosing bridesmaids dresses.
- The bridal party must all arrive on time. This goes for your rehearsal as well as your wedding. If you are having a rehearsal with celebrant and planner, make sure that your attendants know that you are on a time schedule and it is important that everyone is on time.
- Seating may have to be adjusted for a large bridal party. I know that for weddings at New Orleans churches there can sometimes be limited seating on the altar for the bridal attendants. The attendants may end up having to sit in the pews.
- Have good transportation. Hire a shuttle bus like Bonomolo or Limo Livery. Make sure that everyone is together.
- Taking photos of the group in the church after the ceremony? Have a list of your photos for your photographer and as people are done with their pictures, have them head to the bus immediately to hasten the trip to your reception.
- For your photo booth, make sure to choose an open-style so that you can get all of your bridal party or at least larger groups in the photos.
- You may want to opt for 4×6 or 5×7 prints instead of the strips in your photo booth so that they are large enough to see everyone